Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Sunday, April 17, 2011

So It Would Seem & Thoughts About Past Failures

The "standstill" of diatoms and cyanobacteria has ended, which is a shame.  One step forward, one step back.

However I may know the cause.  During the last water change, I neglected to rinse out the power filter.  I'm sure it's pumping out a huge amount of nitrates - so much that the chaeto is leaving left-overs for the diatoms and cyano.

Just to verify, I'll monitor the tank following the next water change/power filter cleaning.  As it stands now, that won't be too long.  I project my next water change to be necessary by Wednesday, and that's without a test strip even hitting the water.

I'm wondering if I might be able to make a DIY "chaeto box" out of my filter.  I'll have to ponder that deeper before implementing.  Initially I'm thinking of removing either the filter or the media cartridge and replacing it with chaeto.  The area housing the chaeto will need to be lit, but I'm wondering if that will also cause nuisance bacteria to also grow inside the power filter canister.  This would provide a lot of flow over the chaeto and perhaps even give the chaeto a chance to suck up nitrates before re-entering the tank.

So many things needed in order to remove the power filter for good:

  • Flow will be reduced - countered by additional power heads
  • Large particle filtration will be eliminated - countered by a detritus collection area which will require a return pump, collection container, and an overflow box.
  • Surface film will return - countered by an overflow box, but this layer would not necessarily naturally collect in a collection container since it floats.  Could also be countered completely by a surface skimmer - more research needed.  
  • Surface film also inhibits gas exchange - countered by power heads aimed to break surface tension.
So my shopping list to remove the power filter once and for all is:  power heads, return pump, collection container, overflow box (plus required tubing and fittings), a potential surface skimmer, and more power heads.  That looks like an expensive list...

Off to greet tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment