Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Slow Day in the Tank

Slow days in the tank get me thinking:

  • Since removing the power filter, I've developed a thin skin of compounds on the surface of the water.  These compounds need to be skimmed, but, due to my lack of current equipment, they cannot be.  I can point my single power head enough toward the surface to disturb the water, but a majority of those compounds are just too big to be skimmed by my equipment.  Also, when the power head is adjusted, the anemone seems to need to readjust.  I like him where he is.
  • With these compounds collecting at the surface (due to their bond with a hydrogen atom, they float) the gas exchange between the water and the surface is negatively affected.  At least the power filter would disturb the water tension to allow for better gas exchange.  It also has the effect of tumbling this film which allows the skimmer to grab what it can in addition to the filter capturing the larger particles.
  • Also without the added flow the power filter provides, I have more dead spots in the tank for detritus to settle.  That means more frequent vacuums, which equates to more maintenance and more salt mix.
I think my list of "pro's" to keep the power filter in the tank was not thought out enough.  And since adding the chaeto, I've at least taken a step to stem the tide of the power filter's big negative effect.

So guess what - the power filter has been reinstalled.

I hate the fact that I simply cannot keep my hands out of the tank for more than a week.  However, I want the best for the tanks inhabitants.  I am not afraid to experiment to improve the conditions of the tank.  I am also not afraid to undo any changes I make if those experiments net a negative effect.

The chaeto will simply be my low-budget nutrient removal device until I can afford an under-the-tank solution.  And the chaeto will benefit from the installation of the power filter as well.  Due to the chaeto's location in the tank, the power filter will provide plenty of flow to it.

I also took some pictures today.  

The mushrooms are doing surprisingly well. They aren't spreading yet, but they are getting larger.


The anthelia is doing well.  It seems to be getting nice and thick.  It, too, has not yet started to spread.

I can almost see the anemone growing day by day.  It now easily "over-flows" the bowl it resides in.

The star polyps are NOT doing so well.  The aiptasia at the bottom left has stung enough to create a purple barren spot.  And the dark brown coral right of center seems to be doing a similar thing to it's neighbors.  I am hoping to get the aiptasia removed next week since the peppermint shrimp aren't interested in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment