Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Observations - Apr 14, 2011

Found a dead Dwarf Red Legged Hermit Crab today.

Cyanobacteria still seems to be at a standstill.  I may very well rid myself of it next water change (scheduled for tomorrow).  I have a feeling, however, the diatoms will be a longer battle.

The chaeto ball seems to be compressing itself more.  It hasn't changed size (smaller or larger) in the last couple of days, but it is now more dense.  I have a feeling that as the chaeto strands extend, they weave themselves tighter and tighter, especially when in form of a clump or ball.  So in order to maximize nutrient export, I will need to maximize chaeto exposure.  For that I suspect I will need to kneed the chaeto into a larger shape so that a majority of portions of it still receive at least light.  If parts of the chaeto die in the tank, the whole point of having chaeto will have been defeated.  When it dies, it just releases the nutrients back into the system.

I can foresee that when I kneed the chaeto, I will lose some strands to flow.  Loose strands do not necessarily pose a danger of dieing and subsequently releasing nutrients - it is simply an aesthetic problem.  It may be best if the chaeto is several small clumps instead of one large clump.  Smaller clumps would need little if any attention, at least until they become dense due to growth.

Definitely something to think about for tomorrow.

Here's todays tank pics:





The "unknown coral" seems to be doing quite well...  At least I hope it's coral.

No comments:

Post a Comment