Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Settling Up

In the two days since removing the power filter, I am beginning to see the type of filtration it provided.  Like here, I have a film of material that is settling to the surface of the water.

I have a way of removing material that settles to the bottom of the tank (siphon vacuum), but I do not as of yet have a way of removing the surface material, at least in great enough numbers to keep the surface clean.

The protein skimmer is Hang-On-Back with an input 5 inches below the surface.  It might be assisting with cleaning up this surface layer, but it doesn't seem it's affecting it directly.

I pointed my power head toward the surface, just enough to break the surface tension (which also helps in the water surface gas transfer) which only resulted in stirring up that layer and bringing further down.  I ended up pointing the power head back in it's original direction.  I'll let that material settle to the surface again.

I think what I'm needing to deal with this is what is accurately being referred to as a "settling tank".  With the use of a weir for an overflow, this surface material should be skimmed off the top.  I'll probably need some sort of tank or bucket to catch this utilizing a sock filter, then a water pump to move the water back up into the tank.

For now, it's a simple enough design that won't require the detailed planning of a typical hobby sump/refugium.

I think I'll start getting some prices on stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment