Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Monday, April 11, 2011

Potential Anemone Preventative Care

Just a few (hopefully) quick things...

Noticed the anemone has had some what appear to be "irritated" tentacles.  They are shriveled and white.  I've noticed the clowns picking on those tentacles the last couple days.  Those tentacles just so happen to hang over the bowl edge to where they may be coming in contact with the anthelia.  I don't know if anthelia "stings" or not, but I moved it away from the anemone bowl.  I haven't yet looked to see how much flow the anthelia requires.  It's in "low" flow now, so I may end up moving it again to a better flow spot.

Since I moved the anthelia, I'm thinking of moving the remainder of the rock adjacent to the anemone bowl to avoid future coral contact.  That will be for another day.

I scrubbed cyanobacteria from a few of the rocks also.  While I was at it I went ahead and kept on brushing. Did all the rocks except the anemone bowl.  If the power filter wasn't installed, I probably would not have done that just due to the amount of detritus that was stirred up.  So now I'm waiting for the "dust to settle" so that I can hand out some mysis.

The surface film on the tank was about 75% gone... at least until I started stirring up the substrate and brushing rock.  I don't like stirring all that stuff up at once.  I don't know what effect it has on the inhabitants.  Maybe I'll start spreading it out over the course of a week instead of everything at once.  Speaking of which, I expect a pretty full skim cup tomorrow.

Nitrates are still at 10.  Just another patience game to play with the chaeto.

Found a dead shrimp today.  Judging by the location of the shrimp I see on a daily basis, I'm guessing the carcass I found was the new one.  Time to update the tank specs to reflect the change.  I still think I need to have a total of at least 4 just to keep the "territory" covered.  But those will have to come with time.

The first shrimp I got was a nice pink, even during acclimation.  The second shrimp was brown the whole time until it was in the tank for 10 minutes or so.  Then it turned pink, but I wonder if that had anything to do losing it.

I suppose that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment