Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Observations - Apr 13, 2011

Since adding the chaetomorphis macroalgae 5 days ago, I have noticed a significant reduction in growth of brown (diatom) and red (cyano) algae.

Generally by now my substrate would be mostly brown and I would have a few rocks with thick cyanobacteria and would be in need of a brushing and a vacuum.  After 5 days, I only have the residual cyanobacteria that I failed to net during it's last brushing on a rock or two.  I also have a small amount on the substrate where I also failed to catch it.  The glass and substrate are accruing diatom (brown) algae, but at a much slower rate than in the past.

When placing the chaetomorphis in the tank some loose strands got away.  Some of those strands are in dead spots in the tank, and others have found themselves stuck in the power filter intake.  It's actually easier to see the individual chaeto strands growing than the chaeto clump.  The chaeto clump actually compressed during the first few days.

I have no complaints whatsoever about adding the chaeto.  I have to wait for the chaeto to grow larger before it starts to actually starts making headway on nitrates.  In it's current size, it seems to be able to absorb all phosphates - I've tested zero on phosphates since the last water change when I added the chaeto 5 days ago.  Once the power filter builds it's bacteria up again (it was removed for 4 days), I'm hoping the chaeto will be large enough to handle the nitrate output it will give so that my new "normal" will be zero.

Since rescuing the new inhabitants, my tank seems to have started another cycle.  If it were simply fish and soft coral, I would probably let the cycle go on about it's business.  However, the anemone is very dear to us.  Judging by it's size, it is a grand old anemone.  And from research they aren't easy to keep.  So perhaps I'm being extra-diligent.  I'm trying to minimize the effects of a cycle while still allowing the cycle to complete.  I can't afford nutrient spikes, but I do realize some of that needs to be in the water so that the particular bacterias can find their equilibrium, which only prolongs the cycle.  But that's OK.

Since arranging the rock, the starfish has relocated to the left corner.  Yesterday during the rock rearrangement he was under the anemone bowl.  The starfish is easier to see now since it's in a corner where the rock isn't against the back glass.  That will make showing it off a lot easier.

Here's some pictures from today:

The tank in it's entirety.

The right corner - here you can see the little bit of cyano that I was not able to catch on the substrate.  The bottom right rock is generally overflowing with cyano after just a few days.  But with the chaeto, it only has what I was not able to brush off last time.

Another "morning stretch" from the anemone.

The bit of cyanobacteria on the tall rock on the right has been there since my last brushing.  I was not able to reach those areas on the rock before rearranging the other rocks.  Next time I'm in there with the brush, I'll be able to reach it nicely now.  This is also the corner the starfish has claimed.  The chaeto can also be seen here on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment