Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Ugly SIde of Beautiful Reef Tanks

With all of the stress of moving and acclimating the new adoptions, the thought of "the ugly side" never came to mind.  But I was reminded all to quickly when my wife got home from work.  The previous owners of the new inhabitants had dropped off a little present:


The box of chemicals, food, and other miscellaneous equipment they needed to run their tank.  What a shocker.

I have a personal flaw - the gut-punch word is "ignorance".  I believe the French have a nicer word for it - "naivete".

I have the unenviable contention that I can outmaneuver fate, against all odds.  This contention even trickles down to reef tanks.  I believe that if I provide the correct environment, I will not have to use such chemicals.  As I type this I can see just exactly how naive this is.  But I also have a strength to offset this weakness - compromise.

Here's the game plan.  Research the chemicals, see what they provide and how to use them effectively.  If at all possible, I will find alternatives to some of the chemicals, I hope...  I have a glass box, not 2/3rds of the Earth to play with.  I'm not so naive to not realize that.

There must be hundreds of dollars in that styrofoam box...

No comments:

Post a Comment