Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Salinity Observations

So I'm noticing fluctuations in my salinity from day to day.  I wonder why that is.

A second hydrometer was gifted to me yesterday (along with the chemicals, some food, and the new tank inhabitants), so I compared the two during my water test today.  My hydrometer read 1.0235 (a rise of .001) and the gifted hydrometer read 1.019 or so.

I then tested both hydrometers in the RO/DI saltwater I have left over from my LFS.  The gifted hydrometer read about the same.  My hydrometer read 1.022.  From the instruction I've received from my LFS, I would assume his water is at or about 1.022, so I'm going with my hydrometer for the moment.

I'll still be using both just to satisfy my curiosity on this matter.  I will just be sure to rinse them both well before retiring them for the day.  Perhaps with a little "hydrometer maintenance" I can bring them both to more comparable readings.

The previous owners of the hydrometer kept their salinity level "right in the middle" (which is 1.0225).  Their hydrometer reads about .003 less than mine.  If my hydrometer is accurate, they could have been running a salinity that would approach 1.025 or 1.026.  If that is true, then adding about 30 pounds of their rock (which is still going to contain some of their water) plus an anemone (which is also going to contain their water) could have elevated my salinity by .001.
However, this logic does nothing to explain the measured drops I recorded between March 23rd, 24th, and the 25th.  I think diligent hydrometer cleaning will be the next variable I contend with.

EDIT:  I've discovered why the salinity readings are fluctuating...  The nature of hydrometers, at least the float-lever type that are pedaled by pet stores, are in and of themselves unreliable.  Next on the list of equipment... a refractometer, which is a much more accurate means of measuring salinity.  But I've already come to this conclusion.  I'm only restating it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment