Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Short List for the Near Future

Damsel's are small, pretty, and have a relatively small gallon-per-fish requirements.  But they're also pretty territorial.  If they aren't eating, they're usually attempting to dominate one of the other Damsels, except for the smallest - he only has the hermit crabs to pick on.

So in the next couple of weeks, the plan is to bag up the Damsels, which is no small feat.  In my many weeks of studying them, I've found that they are particularly adept at hiding and fitting into tight spaces.  End result - the live rock is going to have to be either removed from the tank completely to catch them, or at least I'm going to have to arrange it to avoid any nooks, cranny's, or hiding spots.

I've heard of fish traps but haven't really looked into them.  I'm going to want to bag these guys up pretty quickly.  My entire life has taught me that traps will generally sit empty and I just don't have inclination to make multiple trips to the LFS to drop off fish a couple at a time.

Back to moving the live rock around... I now have hermit crabs, so they will either need to be temporarily removed from the tank or I'll need to be careful moving rock around.  There are only 10 in the tank (I've only been able to spot 9 at any one time), so moving them to a temporary bowl or cup should be the easiest way to go.

I'm thinking our first fish will probably be a Clownfish, which I'm sure is a very common choice.  It's actually a close race between a False Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) and some sort of Tang - and due to the cost of Tangs, more than likely a Blue Hippo Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus).  If it weren't for the "Nemo" themed birthday party this weekend, the Tang may still be in the running.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a handful of other types of Clowns, but I'm a little limited in what's available at my LFS - I'm not yet adventurous enough to hit other saltwater LFS's or order online.

I've been doing a little research on the Clown which is beginning to sway what the first coral will be.  Still undecided, but I seriously doubt I'm coming home with a mushroom on that day.  I can't really visualize a clown claiming a mushroom.  No real hope in deciding now what coral to start with... I'm not familiar enough with the LFS selection, but I'm going to shoot for something that at least remotely resembles and Anemone, if possible.

I've also read the Clownfish live in small groups - so there's hope for a handful of Clowns living (hopefully) as they do in the wild.

Also with the first fish and first coral, I'll be bringing home some "flow".  The LFS and I have talked a bit about what I'll need.  He recommended a 750 gph powerhead for the end of the tank opposite of the backpack filter... makes sense - the filter is already producing a little flow down on it's end.  It was also suggested that in the future, if more flow is needed, get a smaller powerhead for the filter end to add just a bit more flow.

I'd also like to feed the fish a more varied diet in the future.  So I'm thinking Reefpods - they feed on detritus so they're a part of the "janitorial crew".  I've read that they love to live in Chaeto, and Chaeto helps with Nitrates.  I saw today where someone liked the look of "grass" in their tank, so they just balled up some Chaeto and nestled it in the corner.  I realize that's not the most efficient use of Chaeto for removing Nitrates, but I can see that it's a happy medium for dual use - removing Nitrates and housing Reefpods.  I don't yet have a refugium, so it doesn't sound like a half-bad idea, especially if I have some flow in the tank.  Who knows, maybe when I do get a refugium, I'll still have Chaeto in the main tank just for another Reefpod shelter...  (I have since gained insight that deters me from this action)

Eventually I'd also like to start making a little money (or losing less, whichever the perspective is) in saltwater.  I'm tossing around ideas for selling beginner fish and corals, but that's going to take a lot of equipment, time, and work (not to mention space).  But I've been in business before and baby-steps are OK with me... I'm used to it.

Look what happens when a guy brings a salt tank home for his son...

... and this is just short list (figuratively).

I guess I'll go get that water change done.

No comments:

Post a Comment