Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Observation - A Lack of Activity Leads to Closer Scrutiny

So it's been 4 days now since the Damsels were removed.  I bet it's going to be another month before we get any fish back into the tank.  When it rains, it pours.

So with only 10 Dwarf Hermit Crabs, the needles on the gauges seem to be winding down.  After four days, nitrites are nearly at zero.  There is more than one thing going on that effects nitrates, so I'm not putting a lot of weight on it's results quite yet, but I will keep an eye on it to see if I can determine if nitrates are being converted to nitrogen.

If I would have known it would be so long before replacing the Damsels, they'd still be here.

So the tank is a lonely place now.  With fish AND crabs, the fish would draw me in, then I'd begin to study the crabs.  I still gaze into the tank habitually only to find three or four crabs within view... not much to see.  But habits are hard to break.  I now study the rock.  With the addition of flow, I can see detritus attached to the rock waving in the current.

As I go from rock to rock, I've begun to notice some algae.  I'm curious as to what it is - at least it's a nice shade of green instead of the brown stuff (not that the brown algae is gone).  Chances are it's nuisance algae, but at least it gives me something to do.

Once in a while I'll see a nice big piece of detritus resembling a dandelion seed.  Flow doing it's job:  CHECK.

No comments:

Post a Comment