Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Saturday, July 16, 2011

More Siphoned Sand

Today I did a water change.  I didn't test before changing so I don't have any pre-change data.  I had an opportunity to remove more substrate so I took it.

I ended up removing the rocks in the right third of the tank in order to remove the substrate from that area.  Those rocks are now sitting on bare glass.  When I put them back I wasn't too concerned about how it looked, so it doesn't look all that hot.  After all, those rocks will need to be removed again to make room for the anemone bowl so that I can remove the substrate from underneath it.

About 3 gallons of substrate was removed today along with 25 gallons of water.  I can't believe how much crap there was in the substrate at the edge of the rocks...  Brown powdery crap that would have sat there for a millennia.

Like I said, I'm not happy with the rocks, but I'm happy with the journey.  Once I get the substrate from under the anemone bowl I can concentrate on visual appeal of the placement of rock.  Or, who knows... I may have a sump by then with the currently-unsightly rocks in the sump.  Doubt it though ;)  I need something for the coral to grow on.

That's it for now.  Any pictures posted prior to the end of this journey will definitely be work-in-progress pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment