Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Monday, July 25, 2011

Just about there

So today a spent a lot of time on the tank...  and as life would have it, it doesn't look like it.

Once again I siphoned more sand out.  I probably got another 3 gallons out.  Almost everything except for the sand underneath the anemone bowl.  I ended up changing about 25 gallons of water today (33%) and it looks like crap.

I also took this opportunity to see what siphoning a bare bottom would be like.  It was actually pretty easy.  Water changes are going to be a lot quicker and will use less water in the future.  I bet I can cut the water changes from 20 gallons (27% change) to 10 or 15 gallons (13-20%), depending on how many hermit crabs are in the way.

Had a good day at the LFS today as well.  Had a nice chat with the owner about what I was wanting to do.  Ended up purchasing a RO/DI unit (about damned time), an HOB overflow, three more powerheads (2 x 425 gph and 750 gph), and a return pump rated at 750 gph.  That takes my display flow to 3625 gph (tank turnover of 48 times per hour).  This amount of flow should keep detritus suspended nicely until it is drawn into the sump.  The flow rate for the sump is much lower to allow that detritus to settle there.

Later I stopped by Home Depot with my return pump and overflow to figure out the plumbing.  All my pipes are purchased as well.

So I have everything I need except for the sump container itself.  I'm still undecided between a glass tank, a DIY acrylic box, or a rubbermaid tote.  If I could plumb two totes together, that would be even better.  I have about 36" of width that I'd like to fill, which would give me 12" of storage in the cabinet still.

More later as the build progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment