Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Jax's Reef - The Way it Should Have Been

So I've been trying to decide these last couple of months whether or not to breed clowns.  If I decide not to, there are still some upgrades I'd like to do to the display tank...

Perhaps it's that I'm inexperienced in a majority of aquarium equipment.  And then again perhaps I know precisely what I'm looking at when shopping for equipment and stuff is just really that expensive.

So if I decide to breed the clowns, I'm looking at an initial investment of about $1,000.  Granted, about half of that is equipment I would want regardless of breeding or not - like a RO/DI unit ($300), refractometer ($60), return pump ($100) for a sump installation (either breeding or on the current display tank).  So these are the common items.

If I decide to breed, I'll also require a couple of HOB overflow boxes ($120); microalgae, brine shrimp and rotifer cultures from Florida Aqua Farms ($175), larvae catcher ($100), breeding jugs for the food, air pump ($75), misc plumbing, lights, timers, etc.

If I decide to install a sump, I'll still need one HOB overflow box ($60), misc plumbing parts, light, timer, etc.

Breeding will require an unknown amount of daily time, probably at least a half hour or so.  I really don't think I want to spend money and time on something additional.  Perhaps when/if I retire and need a hobby.  But I currently have plenty to keep my hands full.

I've been back and forth for the last couple weeks.  But today is the day I put my foot down and decide.

I think I've decided NOT to breed, but to make the display tank as it should have been initially - with a sump for convenient nutrient export, housing equipment, and water polishing.

Installing a sump will be no simple or quick task, and while I'm "in there" there are a couple other things I'd like to get done:

  • Remove the display tank so that the sump can be dropped into the cabinet from the top.  This will make installing the sump tank easier than going in from the back and removing the rear vertical support.
  • Level the stand.
  • Removing the remainder of the substrate from the display tank
More plans and thoughts on the matter will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment