Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Saltwater Aquarium Advice

I was going through some older posts of mine on TheReefTank.com forums and thought I'd share some advice I was giving another person who is just a couple of months behind me:

Originally Posted by 46bowreef
I'm just so worried about getting things and they die I have some mollies in there now to serve the purpose of the damsels so i'm looking to add something nice in the near future.
I think there are two or three big things to consider:
  • Take everything nice and slow. Equilibrium can be a bitch.
  • Be prepared to answer the question "If you could have only 1 inhabitant, what would it be?" and emulate that environment (whether it's nutrient-poor or nutrient-rich conditions). Also be responsible enough to pass on your #2 choice if it cannot live in the same environment as your #1 choice.
  • Listen to the water. It will tell you when it needs changed.
It's OK to worry about losing something, but don't beat yourself up over it, and don't let that stop you from taking on that responsibility if it's something you can realistically handle. It's going to happen. Learn from your mistakes, understand cause and effect, and get to know history (learn from others before their mistakes become your own).

Without getting into specifics, this is the best general advice I can give you. I'm only ahead of you by a couple months. I know what it's like to worry, but there needs to be something somewhere to keep you just outside of your comfort zone. How else will you know the extent of your abilities?

I admittedly have no business with an anemone in a not-even 4 month old tank. I never would have come home from the LFS with one, even if the owner would have allowed the sale. But I figured at the time that survivability in a 10 week tank was better than that of a leaking tank which would be empty in a matter of hours.

The nobility of the anemone keeps me measuring the amount of skim I collect daily, testing every 2 or three days, changing water when conditions require it (even if I just changed water yesterday), and recording what I feed.

In my opinion, it's the statistical unlikeliness of the anemones survivability in an immature tank that makes me a better reefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment