Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Clownfish Clutch Blooms

I did, indeed, check in with the Clowns tonight, about an hour and a half after "lights out".  I could tell just by their behavior it was not a typical night.

A typical night in the life of a Clownfish (at least in Jax's Reef) mostly entails sleeping within the anemone's tentacles.

Tonight, the Clowns were busy tending to their eggs.

I grabbed a video.  Very cool.  As the Clowns tend to their clutch (left), larvae can be seen swimming in the foreground (right).



I can't wait to get set up for the rearing of Clownfish larvae so that these precious lives do not go to waste.  Already, due to the running filtration and power heads, some dead larvae were witnessed even this early.

I'll see if I can get any videos in the morning.  The larvae are supposed to have a yolk sac that contains about 12 hours of energy reserves.  As long as some can avoid the filtration and power heads, I may be able to get some daylight shots before they become food.

1 comment:

  1. Update - Come morning, there were no larvae to be found. I suspect the PJ Cardinals...

    ReplyDelete