Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Further Thoughts on Breeding

I was doing a little reading tonight on Clownfish - more specifically the various stages of their egg patch, or clutch.

Prior to tonight, I thought that when the clutch turned black that the clutch was no longer viable.  Generally in life, even in saltwater life, black is bad.  However with clutches that is not the case.

I noticed today that the clutch had started to gain a silvery appearance.  That, too, is a good sign.  It's also a sign that hatching is near.  Here's a snapshot I took tonight of the clutch:


It got me thinking again about breeding - nothing as grandiose as my prior plans have been.  Just a tank or two, some simple flow and/or filtration.

Off to do more research.  I think the bulk of my learning will be on what is required (monetarily and physically) to raise the food required to fuel the raising of the fish.

The eggs are supposed to hatch within a few hours of "lights out", which was about an hour ago.  I didn't bother turning off filtration or power heads since I'm in no way prepared to take care of the larvae.  But I think I'll go check on them periodically tonight to see if any larvae will greet my flashlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment