Jax, Me, and the Surf

Jax, Me, and the Surf

Friday, March 25, 2011

The Luxury of Time has been Taken Away

It's been a week since the Damsels were returned.  I've been growing accustomed to spectating.  Things have changed.

My wife called about 9am.  A client of her employer has a leak in their tank.  They have a ton of things they are nearly giving away just to save them.

She didn't know specifically what they had, but there were fish, coral, live rock, and live sand.  She gave me her clients phone to call.

I called and asked if I could help, verified what I would need to bring (just a couple 5 gallon buckets) and got the directions.

This had to have been a 300 gallon tank.  When I got there the water was two thirds of the way down.  Their basement was littered with 40 gallon Brute cans with the live rock, corals, etc.  The fish were still in the tank.

We talked a bit about the size and maturity of my tank and equipment.  They had a couple of clowns, a couple cardinals, some shrimp, 3 starfish, what looked like an eel, plus some angels.

I let them know I would do everything I could to help save what they had.  Part of that was not to take on too much.  I ended up with the two clowns, their hosting anemone, the live rock the anemone had claimed, some mushroom coral, a couple other types of polyp coral, and two cardinals.  Oh, and a starfish.  I figured I was pushing the limits of the tank with 4 fish and an anemone so I elected to get a starfish for help with the cleanup crew.

It took a few hours, but everything has been acclimated to our tank.  The anemone re-situated itself in it's bowl-shaped rock.  The clowns have found their host.  The starfish is hiding, and the cardinals really don't know what to do.

No more spectating.  I am now an active participant.

No comments:

Post a Comment